THIS IS IMPORTANT, PLEASE DON’T FEED THESE TREATS TO YOUR DOGS
My mom bought these recently and they have made both of my dogs really sick. She later saw an article online about duck and sweet potato treats made in China(these fit the description) killing dogs and the FDA is doing nothing about it. Apparently over the last few years 600 young, healthy dogs have died after eating these treats and I don’t want anymore to suffer or be killed so please spread the word and don’t let your dogs have these!
This is VERY important! A lot of these animal treats made in China are killing dogs and cats. It’s not that the FDA isn’t doing anything about it, it’s simply that they don’t know why it’s happening.
They are conducting investigation after investigation, but the ingredients used in the food killing dogs (and 10 cats) is used in many different brands and companies that have been shipped, all from overseas. At this rate, a total recall and knowledge of where it’s coming from has proven very difficult. Just recalling one brand in particular will not solve the problem. Please conduct a thorough search about any brand of treats that have been made in China should you pick them up for your pet before you feed it to them. If all else fails, just buy local.
Please PLEASE be aware that this isn’t only happening to dogs, but some cat treats, too!
GARDENERS BEWARE: Many of the plants you buy at Home Depot and Lowe’s may be treated with bee-killing neonictinoids. Because there’s no clear labeling, many good-intentioned gardeners end up poisoning the very bees they are trying to help! http://ow.ly/xakJk (*Home Depot has indicated it is working on safer alternatives, but Lowe’s has not yet responded).
That’s just one of the many things you’ll learn from our fascinating photo essay featuring beekeepers and experts! Check it out » http://ow.ly/xakJk The more you learn, the more you can help protect our bees!
Help SPREAD this post as part of Bee Week! TELL US » What alternatives to pesticides do you use in your garden?
I feel like this is what the internet’s ultimate purpose is. owo
This is pretty serious stuff. Bayer might be about to overturn the EC’s decision to ban the pesticides implicated in killing off the bees! If they win this case, it could be truly disastrous for both the bees and our own future. Please share, and please see the SumOfUs link (no affiliation) to make a donation to help the campaign to save the bees.
Early in 2013, the European Food Safety Authority stated that three specific neonicotinoid insecticides (imidacloprid, clothianidin, and thiamethoxam) pose an acute risk to honeybees, and the European Commission proposed a two-year ban on them.
This is due to go into effect on Dec 1st – and the ban was introduced because of mounting scientific evidence that these insecticides, produced by Syngenta and Bayer, have been the agents responsible for Colony Collapse Disorder – a major problem threatening both the bees and the safety of our own food supply!
However in a horrifying twist, and despite huge public opposition, Syngenta and Bayer are now suing the European Commission over their “right” to continue to produce the pesticides which have been implicated in the massive die-off of millions of bees. Yes, their “right”. Because as we know, corporations’ sole agenda is to make money. They cannot let a trivial thing like nature get in their way.
These insecticides continue to be produced and used on a vast scale in the USA and in other countries and are huge moneymakers for the chemical corporations…
This threw up a few red flags when some of the links led to wiki pages but I looked up the lawsuit and it seems to be legit. Bayer is trying to lift the ban on pesticides that have been linked to the death of millions of bees in Europe. This is, unquestionably, terrible enough on its own, because bees are amazing little insects and deserve all our love, but if all the bees in the world go extinct, human life as we know it will change drastically. Produce will virtually cease to exist. That is a big freaking deal.
In addition to the donation page listed above, SumOfUs also has a petition going around that is still in need of signatures to help stop this. And it needs to be stopped. We cannot risk losing any more bees.
Bees get a pretty bad rap, but honestly? The scary, stingy things you’re afraid of? Most likely wasps. Bees, particularly honeybees and bumblebees, are just these fluffy little cuddle balls that fly around and pollinate stuff. They won’t sting you unless you’re a direct threat to them, because if they sting you, they’ll die. Don’t be scared of bees. Be scared for bees.
I’ve done as much looking around as I can because I know Tumblr is a cesspool of misinformation, and this looks as legit as it gets. Please tell people, sign the petition, and donate if you can.
And in the meantime, if you’re a gardner, please try to encourage bees to come to your garden. You can use the tips listed here. There’s also some information about different kinds of bees you might run into, in case you’d like to learn more about bees and why they’re wonderful.
Thanks for reading, guys. Please share this.
They need 60K more signature and time is almost up! Please sign and reblog!
bees are important as fuck
I thought this was fake, because I thought “Hey, no human is really fucking braindead enough to think we can just kill off all the bees. We are literally alive because of bees. If we just killed them off, we’d all die.”
And then I Google’d this shit.
This isn’t fake. They’re actually killing millions of bees for no fucking reason.
Like are you guys serious? Pesticides are that important to you that you’re okay with risking the entire human race’s existence for them?
God people are stupid.
Go sign this thing.
THE DON’T HUG ME I AM SCARED GROUP NEEDS YOUR HELP!
4 more amazing episodes that teach the puppets the most important subjects of life and complete the DHMIS story!
Hello, we are Becky & Joe, the creators of Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared, and now we are reaching out to the REAL WORLD via this Kickstarter campaign to help us continue with the show and finally educate the Puppets on All 6 Subjects of Life.
WHY BOTHER?Imagine a show that can teach you ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT EVERYTHING in short musical installments. That show is Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared.So far we have covered two of life’s most important lessons in these videos, but surely this can’t be the end for the puppets? Can it? CAN IT?=========================================================YOU CAN DONATE UP TO £5000 POUNDS AND BECOME A CHARACTER ON DHMISYOUR WILDEST DREAMS WILL COME TRUE
Why feeding water birds bread is harmful:
- Duckling Malnutrition: In an area where ducks are regularly fed bread, ducklings will not receive adequate nutrition for proper growth and development. Furthermore, because ducks will naturally seek out an easy food source such as human handouts, ducklings will not learn to forage for natural foods as easily.
- Overcrowding: Where an easy food source is abundant, ducks and other waterfowl will lay more eggs and the pond or lake will become overcrowded. This makes it more difficult for the birds to seek out healthier food sources and increases the likelihood of territorial aggression.
- Pollution: When too much bread is offered to ducks, not all of it will be eaten. The soggy, uneaten bread is unsightly and rotting bread can create noxious odors as well as lead to greater algae growth that can clog natural waterways. This concentrates the pollution and can eventually eradicate fish and other life in the vicinity.
- Diseases: Feeding ducks bread can increase the spread of diseases in two ways. First, a carbohydrate-rich diet leads to greater defecation, and bird feces easily harbor bacteria responsible for numerous diseases, including avian botulism. Second, moldy bread can cause aspergillosis, a fatal lung infection that can decimate entire duck and waterfowl flocks.
- Pest Attraction: Rotting supplies of food leftover from sated ducks will attract other unwelcome pests such as rats, mice and insects. These pests can also harbor additional diseases that can be dangerous to humans.
- Loss of Natural Behaviour: When birds become accustomed to handouts, they lose their natural fear of humans and may become aggressive in order to get more food. Their loss of fear can also cause other dangers, such as a willingness to cross busy roads in order to reach picnickers and other likely sources of food.
Good Foods to Feed Ducks:
The best foods for ducks are those that provide the nutrients, minerals and vitamins the birds need for healthy growth and development. Many of these foods are similar to the natural seeds, grains and plants the birds will forage on their own. As omnivorous birds, ducks will eat a great deal of different foods, and the best foods to offer ducks include:
- Cracked corn
- Wheat, barley or similar grains
- Oats (uncooked; rolled or quick)
- Rice (cooked or uncooked)
- Birdseed (any type or mix)
- Grapes (cut in half)
- Frozen peas or corn (defrosted, no need to cook)
- Mealworms (fresh or dried)
- Chopped lettuce or other greens or salad mixes
- Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)
- Duck feed pellets or poultry starter pellets (x)
Every year I will reblog some kind of reminder of this! Please don’t feed waterfowl bread.
I used to volunteer at a country park and we would literally ban people if they fed the ducks and swans bread. People said it was because we wanted to make money via the seeds we sold in the gift shop (which were a special blend especially for waterfowl) but in reality it is because disposing of ducks that had died from being fed too much bread was starting to have a mental impact on the volunteers.
Oh wow I didn’t know this! Everyone should know this!